To provide to an increased demand for developing applications, development teams have begun to rely more and more on APIs. APIs bring together disparate software systems by enabling communication and data exchange among them.
API represents the core architecture or business logic of software that helps integrate it with a third party application. Interestingly, users of any third party application interact with the application through a GUI, which in turn interacts with the API to get the desired outcome.
In a business environment where agile methodologies, cloud computing and Internet of Things are becoming the buzzwords, API Testing helps in increased automation of the testing process. In API Testing standard modes of entering inputs like using a keyboard are given a go by and instead, automated calls from software are made to register responses from the system.
Benefits of API Testing
– It enables increased synergy among multiple development teams
– Component developers can validate system responses for error cases and address them
– Verify functionality of components in different environments such as operating systems, hardware, third party applications etc.
– Automates testing as behaviour of individual components can be controlled.
There are, however, a few challenges that can affect API Testing.
– If disparate components or dependencies present in the software are located remotely or owned externally by third party applications, mainframes or other services, their absence can seriously impair testing.
– If input to a component requires manual intervention, which is further dependent on constraints like distance or time zone, API Testing would take a hit.
– The dependencies might not be fully developed or available.
To address such issues, Service Virtualization comes into play. Through this technique, a virtual test environment is created whereby a request to the component is matched by a response.
According to the market research firm Gartner, the need for API Testing and Service Virtualization technique has become significant in the world of agile software development for mobile and Internet or to meet newer paradigms like Internet of Things.
Five Benefits of Service Virtualization in API Testing are given below:.
1) In order to evaluate unpredictable habits of an API: Often it is difficult to gauge the response of an API when fed with erroneous inputs. Through Service Virtualization in API Testing scenarios like downtime, slow rate of functioning or erratic behaviour can be studied– in a neutral setting.
2) Decrease verboseness: API Checking can decrease verboseness and help with smooth end to end system combination.
3) Price reducing: As dependancy on outside elements minimizes, a virtualized API will result in cost savings which or else will possess mosted likely to preserve bandwidths and servers.
4) Decrease turn-around moment: Rather than waiting on real APIs to become designed, programmers could utilize digital APIs in order to draw out items in the market place faster.
5) Multiple-use: Since it really may be quickly set up any time as well as anywhere required, this is virtually recyclable.
In order to provide in order to an enhanced need when it comes to establishing apps, advancement groups have actually started so as to depend more and more on APIs. API or App Programs User interface consists of subroutines, protocols, functions and procedures as part of an underlying architecture that enables a programmer in order to create software application. The rooting design conceals intricacies off the programmer and rather presents objects, functions and actions in an easy to use form that are needed to build the application. APIs carry together disparate software systems by enabling interaction and data exchange among them.To address such problems, Service Virtualization happens right into working.